Monday, April 8, 2013

"Rattle Trap" Based 4-Door JK Pickup Build- Pt. 1

I have seen alot of people build some nice Jeep JK-8 pickups on different forums. I even began one with a lexan body, but it's just difficult to use a lexan body and mod it so much. I recently purchased a New Bright Jeep 4-door Wrangler body from a member of the Scale Builder's Guild. These New Bright bodies have amazing detail and I'm happy to use one of these bodies for a build. I am going to use this body to build a 4-door Jeep JK pickup truck, which will be based off of the full size "Rattle Trap" Jeep. Here are some reference pictures of the 1:1 Jeep:








 For body work, I will have to stretch the back 1.7" (17" on the 1:1) so that I have more space for the pickup bed, and shorten the hard top so that it stops behind the back doors. I would like to use 1.9" Pitbull tires, Rigid Industries/ Vanquish Products lightbar, and Portal Axles to match the full size.

I began building the chassis. I'm starting with Scx-10 rails and kind of went from there. I moved the Axial transmission to the front of the truck, like my Toyota pickup. I took a Traxxas 1/16 Summit transmission and modified it so that it is now a transfer case. It is tested and this works. I am using RC4WD Tough Armor Comp. Stinger front bumper and rear bumper with spare tire carrier. I will mod the rear bumper so that the spare tire will be angled in the bed of the truck. The shocks shown are just for reference, I will be using coilovers.






1 comment:

  1. I can see that you are putting a lots of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the good work.Some really helpful information in there. Nice to see your site. Thanks!
    Lightweight Truck Tarps

    ReplyDelete